Rugged Controls is Hiring!
Job Opening: Electrical Engineer
Rugged Controls is an ISO 9001 certified manufacturer of rugged programmable controllers, sensors, instrumentation, controls and automation equipment used in industries including oil & gas, industrial, oceanographic, mining and construction. Our brand of multivariable controllers is continually selected in mission-critical applications where rugged durability, viewability, accuracy and data acquisition is required. We’ve been around since 1986, constantly improving and innovating.
At Rugged Controls we design, build, and deliver embedded display products, software, and smart deck machinery which are truly one-of-a-kind best in class. Our equipment is used in harsh environments from the tropics to the poles. Our market space includes some of the most globally respected commercial organizations relating to oil & gas, construction, marine, mining, oceanographic, and towing markets. Our brand is known for manufacturing equipment that can withstand the rigors of being installed in the world’s harshest climates.
We are looking for an innovative and dedicated person to join our engineering team, making great products even better and developing new instrumentation solutions that exceed our client expectations. If you work well as an individual and as a team member, can comfortably cross disciplines, wear multiple hats and enjoy actually making a difference in a world class company, this is a great place for you.
In your role as an Electrical Engineer, you will participate in and lead new product design, customization of existing products, customer support, field work, customer training, and supporting development of in-house testing tools. Your ideas and experience will shape product capabilities and your work will bring them to life. You will engage with Rugged Controls clients around the world to understand their needs and help them get the maximum value from their instruments.
General Job Responsibilities Include
- Break it down: Synthesize and understand complex system/component requirements related to instrumentation systems.
- Figure it out: Apply analysis, simulation, and prototype testing to develop the best design.
- Share it: Participate in team design reviews with a critical eye and constructive feedback.
- Prove it: Test components/systems against performance requirements and develop QC/QA test protocols to ensure long-term robustness.
- Build it: Train and oversee production processes for efficient, quality output.
- Install it: Client travel for equipment installation and training. 3-5 trips/year, domestic and overseas, typical trip duration of 1 week or less.
Required Engineering Skills & Experience
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering/Science with embedded experience.
- Minimum 3 years recent experience in instrumentation, embedded hardware/firmware, system integration.
- Knowledge of embedded Linux on ARM SOCs including Yocto, Kernel modules, and cross compilation with GCC tools.
- Knowledge of RTOS on ARM SOCs in asymmetric core environment.
- Experience with Ethernet, CAN, USB, I2C, SPI, RS-232/485.
- Proficient at bare metal C programming for support of Microchip PIC and ARM Coretex-M3.
- Proficient at Python, Python C Extensions, and shell scripting.
- Knowledge of web programming for an embedded Linux environment.
- Analog and digital circuit design.
- Fluency in Altium Designer or other schematic capture/layout software including schematic capture and routing.
- Must able to travel internationally, US Passport holder.
- Excellent small team player with good written, verbal, and presentation skills, and professional demeanor.
- Flexibility - willing to contribute at whatever level it takes to get the job done.
- Familiar with electronic bench test equipment.
- Proficient in the use Microsoft products.
- Able to generate technical documents that include operator manuals, failure analysis, recommendations, and trip reports.
- Reliable transportation readily available.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be able to climb ladders.
- Knowledge of PLCs
- Familiarity with test standards: ASTM, ISO, and UL
- Understanding of IEC, CE and UL design codes and certification
- Electrical and thermal simulation, PSpice, Matlab
- User interface programming using .NET framework
- IT/Networking expertise
- Strong hands-on ability to build your own prototypes
- Experience in providing instrumentation solutions for hazardous environments
- AutoCAD Experience
- A stable, growing company in a brand-new facility
- A pleasant commute for in-city dwellers (we are near Fisherman’s Terminal)
- A positive working environment where your work will make a big difference
- Opportunities for high level technical challenges and getting your hands dirty, all in the same day
- Excellent benefit package
- Competitive salary, DOE
This is a full time, permanent position.
If this sounds right to you - please submit resume & cover letter as a single PDF to: firstname.lastname@example.org